Thursday, January 27, 2011

GW '11 - Chapter 1: Finding the Goddess

I have to say that first off, I do not expect that each year this workshop will hold the same lessons.  Likewise, I don't think that I will glean the same things from the reading in general.

I really love the quote that opens this chapter:

"The goddess path is within you...that is where she lives, even when  you forget to look for her.  Look for her there, and you will always find her."

I couldn't have said it better myself and I think it's a wonderful way to start off the reading.  So often we get tied up in the daily grind that we forget to look at ourselves, appreciate our own inner divinity and celebrate that great gift.  Goddess work for women can be about finding the goddess within and honoring her.  For men it's about doing the same, though from a different perspective.  Learning to honor the Divine Feminine is an integral part of my spirituality.

As I read the chapter I am laying back on my couch, I feel the gentle kicks of my unborn child and am reminded very personally of the life giving power of the Goddess and feminine.  I think of ways to honor and show respect to the female form - such as through bellydance, something I mean to take up again quite soon (I desperately need exercise and have always connected with dance).  I like the idea of the modern homage paid to the Goddess as is mentioned in many forms at the outset of the chapter.

Finishing the chapter I am reminded that so often we seem to lose our ways, and I thank Spirit for the opportunity to hold and participate in this workshop with a lovely group of women.  I look forward to learning and sharing, and most of all growing!

I also think of a dear friend I have who is a Hellenic Reconstructionist and also blind.  One of the goals I wish to accomplish this year is working with the blind and deaf in a spiritual way.  I see no reason just because you are blind or deaf that you cannot participate in this kind of spirituality or exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I like to look up at the moon in the sky.