Sunday, February 20, 2011

GW '11 - Chapter 4: Ritual and the Goddess

I like the idea of Goddess as a verb rather than a noun.  While it seems peculiar to me at first to think of Her in this fashion, it does make sense if you look at the divine as the "Way" in the form that some Eastern spirituality does.

You can really tell when the author brings up "ritual" that she is referring to the non-Pagan community.  As most (if not all) of my general path know ritual is more than just something for special and religious occasions.  I, myself, have always held the knowledge that a ritual is merely "a set of proscribed actions performed with a specific or general intent".  What I like to use when trying to explain how simple a ritual can be are the daily routines we have when going to work or school.  As most folks do one, if not both, it's accessible imagery and effective for illustrating the point.

While holding this knowledge however, until recently, I rarely used it myself.  Like most I tend towards a separation between the spiritual and mundane out of habit from time to time.  I do not think of "housework" as honoring any of the household/domestic oriented goddesses, even though the keeping of the hearth is traditionally "women's work" and thereby very linked to the goddess, as can be seen with Hestia & Vesta (Greek & Roman respectively).  But really there is no reason why one cannot thank these or any other goddesses they may associate with those actions (such as goddesses who deal with cleansing and/or family).  After all, when we honor ourselves we are honoring all, including the God/dess (this is hearkening back to the view of Goddess as Immanent in particular).  But even without the view of the deity as immanent, to take care of what you have shows gratitude for it.  So, if you feel that the Goddess has gifted you with sight, or a home, or anything tangible or intangible taking care of it is a wonderful way to show thanks.

As a crafter I do a lot of fiber work - mainly crochet and knit, but I am also interested in weaving as well.  All of these arts fall under the category of Athena's domain.  I was reflecting on the influence of my personal Muse and Athena in gifting me with the inspiration for several projects I have in the works at the moment.  While I have always associated inspiration and those particular arts to these goddesses, I never really gave it further active thought after that.  So I was delighted to be reminded of these energies by the author!  Kudos Patricia!

Perhaps my only complaint is that there are not more festivals and celebrations provided!  However, as an author, I understand deadlines and to do a truly thorough work would have easily taken years upon years.  And there is also the consideration that some things while observed were not publicly writ and in other cases do not easily translate due to different calendrical systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I like to look up at the moon in the sky.