Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Symbols of Demeter & Persephone

Having just read about this section in the reading I didn't really ever take the time to think about what would be sacred to either of them. The pomegranate, due to it's role in the story, makes of course the most sense. The pig however was wholly unexpected for me to find, and while reading about it's symbolism it made more sense it still was a bit of a surprise. As for the grain and unprocessed and natural products...that makes perfect sense and really it says to me that in our time now of trying to be green, to remember our place on the earth and feed and nourish her back to health that these things should be of more import to us. I have never really worked with Demeter, and know only of one other myth associated with her (that of her and Poseidon and horses). But she seems all too important a deity to work with during these times, perhaps doing so will even shed some light on how we may properly care and work with the earth...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I like to look up at the moon in the sky.